Monday, August 3, 2009

Finally a picture!

I absolutely love this picture! It's the first one I have received in about a month and I can't stop looking at it! I think it is so neat to see the helicopters behind him and to see the terrain surrounding him. He was trying to send over a few pictures at once but only one made it through.
The internet at his FOB is not as fast as we originally were told. Rob has a hard time accessing email at the time and sending pictures or video, is next to impossible. They are looking into going with a different internet contract that promises faster speeds so hopefully that will be fixed by the end of the week!
He received his combat badge within a couple days of arriving in Afghanistan. They have engaged in quite a few attacks since last month but he has remained safe. The physical demands of what he is doing has really taken a tole on his body. His back and foot are always sore. He doesn't sleep nearly as much as he should. On his down time he is studying, networking with other knowledgable people, always trying to learn as much as he can.
I continually ask him if he needs anything, searching for ideas of good things to send him. I can't ever get him to really say he needs much. I have a lot of people asking me what they can send him and at this point I think lots of love and prayers is something that is most appreciated by him.
They have been discussing his "leave" dates and so far it is looking like it will be about a month before we know for sure. He was told September originally but then it was changed because of the elections that are taking place soon. I will keep you all posted since I'm sure I'm not the only one missing him like crazy!!!
Lots of missions and projects up ahead. He is in one of the most dangerous parts of Afghanistan right now and there is a lot of activity all around him. He is not able to share any information with me regarding his missions but I do pay close attention to a few websites, that I feel, give me an accurate idea of what is taking place over there. According to the casualties report for "operation enduring freedom" the number of coalition deaths was the highest last month (July). It is now at 77 deaths just last month alone which is almost double any other month since 9-11!
Rob is the most capable man I know. He has more determination and ambition than I've ever seen someone have. I believe he is absolutely qualified to do extraodinarily well and make such a difference in the lives of people around him. Even during these scary times, I have no doubt that he will make it home safely!
He sends his love home. He's always asking about everyone, always wanting to make sure things are going ok back in the States. He is missing his friends and family and looking forward to coming home and making lots of great memories!
If there is anyone that you know that would like to receive future blog updates then just get me their email and I will make sure to add them to the list. Thank you to everyone for all the support!

“Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more then others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible” – Marc Anderson



1 comment:

Morgan said...

So fun that you got to go camping, and YAY for getting a picture of him! My internet is back up finally and I'm working at 2 am. So dumb. This better not be a regular occurence! Miss you! And Adah!

Background